The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects the upper and lower jaw and allows the lower jaw to move. TMJ disorder refers to any painful condition of this joint. Symptoms include pain in the jaw, face or up around the ear; a clicking sound in the ear; difficulty chewing; your jaw locking up and headache or bite problems. Symptoms result from tension, teeth grinding or dental problems that can cause an uneven bite.
Shiatsu helps relieve TMJ tension and pain and is the perfect compliment to proper dental care.
Benefits of Shiatsu for sufferers of TMJ:
- Release & relax muscles spasms in joint area
- Relieve accompanying tension in the neck & shoulders that can exacerbate symptoms
- Treat acupressure points for pain management
- Harmonize the imbalances that contribute to teeth grinding
- Relieve pain of secondary symptoms such as tension headaches
- Learn self-care that can help decrease teeth grinding & night–time tension
- Encourage full body relaxation and release stress that often compounds the tension cycle in the jaw
If you suffer from the discomfort of TMJ, shiatsu is a fabulous way to take care of yourself and avoid future complications. Plus, it’s relaxing and nourishing for your overall well-being!